Author: Catherine Brothers Varisco
History of the cemetery from its construction (1821) to the present day June 12, 1804 Napoleon's edict of Saint-Cloud ordered that the dead be buried outside the town. January 18, 1808 In compliance with the Napoleonic edict, the order of the General Superintendent of Dalmatia Vincenzo Dandolo was issued. In accordance with the provisions in force, the Municipality of Zadar also had to think about building a cemetery outside the city walls. To find a suitable area, they searched along the road leading to Nona and also on the side of Bellafusa. But the land was stony (“grebani”) - all of Dalmatia is stony - it was difficult to dig burial pits and, moreover, it was an expensive job that the Municipality was not able to sustain. follows (PDF)
Language
English



